Saturday, June 23, 2012

Kindergarten Daily 5 Book Study

I am a little late in linking up, but that's okay! Better late than never!
I am going to go ahead and just copy and paste the instructions from Live, Love, Laugh Everyday in Kindergarten 
I hope that's okay, if not please let me know, and I will remove them.

For Chapter 1 I should have linked up to this and then post my answers. But I am a little late, so I am just going to post my answers and add my linkey. :o)
Since I have already taught using Daily 5 in kindergarten for 2 years I think I have a little bit of a different perspective on how it works in kindergarten compared to using other methods.

1. How do I teach new behaviors? 
At our school we use the Boy's Town Education Model for behavior expectations. I use explicit instruction to teach new behaviors, such as "how to get the teacher's attention." I use the same words to describe the procedure each time. "You raise your hand, remain calm, and wait for the teacher to call your name." The same words are used throughout the entire school. It is amazing how well it works.
Other than that, I think everyone in kindergarten does it the same. Over, and over, and over again. Until you find yourself correcting people in the grocery store on your way home from work. Just kidding. :o)
2. How do I teach expectations?
Modeling. This goes right along with behaviors in my book. 
3. How do I monitor student behavior? whole group? small groups? individual?
I used a card system for individual behavior throughout the day. Every day I send home a parent-communication sheet letting parents know how their child did during the day. 
During Daily 5, when I see a student getting off track I call the entire group back together. If I am working with a small group or an individual, I finish as quickly as possible then call the group back together for a brain break before we begin the next round of Daily 5.
4. What do I do when a student is not exhibiting desired behavior?
If just one student is having difficulty I work with that student to correct the behavior. We do a lot of modeling and practicing. At the beginning of the year we work on our stamina. If one or two students are still struggling I will work with them on their stamina individually.
5. Whose classroom is it?
The students'.
6. Locus of control?
I have goal sheets for each student so he or she can monitor his or her own academic progress. This really helps place the control within each student instead of with me. Students WANT to do well and want to take ownership over what they can achieve.
7. Where are supplies stored?
 As I introduce how to use the supplies, they are ALL out for students to use all the time (scissors, crayons, staples, tape, etc.) I only put enough for the class to use out at one time, so if I have 75 glue sticks I will only put 23 out at a time. As one is used, I replace it with the backup supplies. They LOVE getting refreshed supplies throughout the year.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment